Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Hello Calgary



I don't usually write about local politics -- or anything local or political at all -- in these parts, but my city, which is usually viewed as being conservative both socially and fiscally, voted in an amazing progressive mayor last night. His name is Naheed Nenshi and he is the very first politician in this province that I have actively supported. I'm very politically-minded, but my politics are not usually favoured around these parts. Until now. A Harvard-educated master in public policy who supports great transit and opposes urban sprawl is my new mayor. You have to understand Calgary to understand how very very big this is.

It was a pleasure to support Mr. Nenshi and as of this morning I am very proud to live in this city (though, I do still miss my true love, Toronto). I've embedded this video, which will probably only be enjoyed by 30-something Calgarians. You know me, sentimental.

No comments: