Friday, June 18, 2010
I hit an amazing estate sale yesterday -- I swear the woman who passed away did not buy a single thing after 1958. While I'm always a little sad to rifle though a deceased person's things (especially as their family looks on), I always assume that the previous owner would like the fact that her stuff is finding a new home. I know I would.
We found some other things, but I was absolutely thrilled to find a lot of vintage children's illustrations, in the form of books, comics and (get ready for it) paper dolls! I don't know why I'm so drawn to vintage children's epherma, but I can't get enough of it. I'm only allowing the kids to play with one book -- the rest is far too precious. I just get the shivers looking at it. I hope you enjoy it too.
Wednesday, June 16, 2010
It's another indoor day here (we really wasted our money putting Ruby in soccer this year), so I figured I'd do a random list of things that are making me happy these days:
1. Contrary to the above statement and the last post, I'm loving the rain. It rains here so rarely under regular circumstances, so I'm loving it. If it continues for another week I may take that back.
2. Garden gnomes. And other lawn ornaments that strike my fancy.
3. Reruns of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. And the new season of True Blood. Yes, I am weak.
4. Smoothies spiked with Vega Whole Food Health Optimizer. Aaron calls it my "new age food" and wants nothing to do with it, but subbing my regular cereal in the morning with a Vega shake has done away with a lot of stomach problems I was experiencing. Sure, it tastes like dirt, but you get used to it.
5. Things that come out of my children's mouths. Example from Ruby: "Dad, did you know that an iPad is just an iPhone but really, really big?" followed by "Mom, have you ever had pizza made from humans?"
6. The World Cup.
7. Coconut cream green tea.
And that is all for now. Enjoy the rain or the sun, wherever you are.
Monday, June 14, 2010
There was an oasis of sunshine this weekend to break up what's seemed like weeks of dreary rain. Yesterday was a perfect hanging out in the backyard with friends day -- our first of the year. And yes, friends, there was Pimm's. I followed Martha Stewart's method, which garnishes with lemon, but I swiftly realized that omitting cucumber was a tragedy. It is a mistake that will not be repeated. The act of making Pimm's Cup on a Sunday afternoon, however, shall be repeated throughout the summer. Mark my (gin-soaked) words.
Monday, June 07, 2010
Look what followed me home the other day. Really. Actually, my much maligned cheap-o Singer sewing machine finally met its match after years of me trying to force it to do things it just wasn't designed to do. I know I could have fixed it, but I was so annoyed with it and so tired of it being unable to hold tension and just being plain crappy that I decided it was time to hit the online classifieds and buy a new one. I managed to find a never before used (it was won in a contest -- in fact, someone in a Canadian city near you probably won one and is selling it online) Janome 2160QDC, with a quilting package included. I got it for about $350 less than suggested retail. I feel pretty stoked, I must tell you.
I didn't know it could be like this. This thing is so bloody quiet -- it's like it's whispering to me. And it has a walking foot. A walking foot! And the feed dogs drop. And it has a darning foot! Free motion quilting, here I come. Now if you excuse me, I need to go spend some quality time with my new friend.
Thursday, June 03, 2010
And motivation begins to creep in. Yes, that's a stack of cut fabric. Shockingly, most of it has now been sewn together. I'm feeling good, people. Feeling good.
In other news, Ruby is taking piano lessons with an awesome musician that we know. She sent home a little keyboard picture for Ruby to colour and Ruby took it upon herself to write "I colour me and you!" This cracks me up like crazy.