Monday, September 14, 2009

Oooh la la


Today is, in my world, the first day of fall. Even though the school kids in these parts have been back for over two weeks, Ruby's play school started today and Henry's play group starts later this week. Hurray! The kids and I thought it would be fun to have French toast as a celebratory lunch (we are not really breakfast-food-for-lunch kind of people, so this was novel), so that's exactly what we did.

Now, when I make French toast or other fussy kinds of brunch, I usually go all out and do the soak-overnight, fancy, alchemy-like crazy extravaganzas. This time I opted for simple as can be toast, with just bread dipped in milk, egg, and sugar. It was perfect and delicious and everyone ate it all up. Now, if you're like me and have stacks of recipes for complicated things but end up scratching your head when you want to make, say, fried eggs, here's my mother's French toast recipe:

2 eggs
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
6 slices bread
butter for griddle

You just whisk the first four together, dip in the bread (any kind of bread, from regular loaf bread to sliced cinnamon rolls will work), and fry both sides on a buttered griddle till brown. Easy peasy.


I also used this as an excuse to buy a product that I've long been drawn to in the grocery story exclusively by the packaging. Does this happen to you -- buying things strictly for the packaging? We're not really a jam family, but I've always wanted to try this Danish Orchards fruit compote because of the pretty blue tub. And guess what? Delicious. I think we might have french toast for lunch more often. Next up: pancakes!

1 comment:

Longmont Office Cleaning said...

Great reading your bloog