Wednesday, January 20, 2010


Reasons why I just had one of the best vacations ever (Palm Springs/Disneyland/Los Angeles)

*I got to see my little girl meet seven Disney princesses. The anti-commercial feminist in me says boo, but the look on her face warmed my heart like you wouldn't believe.

*Food. Good Mexican, chicken & waffles, pizza with salad on the top, fois gras...

*Learning that my kids are real troopers. They both usually nap, but we would hit Disneyland from opening to closing and Henry would get about a half hour in the stroller and Ruby would just walk and hop on rides. She even took the "scary" rides in stride -- though wisely bailed on Space Mountain when she got to the front of the line. And because it's still a sore spot, I won't mention that we didn't get home until 4 a.m. this morning, but those kids really put up with a hellish day of travel.

*Pee-Wee Herman! We took a grown-ups night in L.A. and went to Pee-Wee's new stage show. It was divine.

*Piano Bar. Hung out at a unchanged-since-the-'60s piano bar in the desert. Got drunk on champagne cocktails. Made friends with the whole place. Got a ride home with the waitress. True story.

*It's A Small World. We rode it three times, at Miss Roo's request. I love Mary Blair's design. This is my happy place.

*Good friends. Checked in with some buddies who moved down to L.A. a few years ago. We haven't seen their daughter since she was a baby (and vice-versa). She and Ruby spent a morning pretending they were sisters.

*Magic. There's magic in California, I swear.

No comments: