Friday, January 05, 2007

My Heart Goes Out...

For those who haven't heard the news, former Halifax resident/social activist/film maker/zinester/all-around amazing person Helen Hill was killed in her New Orleans home yesterday morning. Apparently, Helen and her husband Paul Gailiunis heard a knock at their door at about 5 a.m. Thinking that it was somebody in an emergency situation, they opened the door only to be attacked. Helen was shot and killed and Paul was shot several times, but is still alive. He was found clutching their two-year-old son, who was (thank god, oh, thank god) unharmed.

I didn't know Helen and Paul, but I certainly have known of them for years. They were an integeral part of the amazing Halifax music scene, with Paul fronting the Calypso Orchestra Of The Maritimes, Piggy. A good friend of mine who lives in Halifax always spoke so highly of the couple and even considered Helen a mentor -- so in a way I feel like I knew them. My heart goes out to Paul and his son and everyone in Halifax and New Orleans who came to know and love Helen.

For more info on Helen, please visit her memorial website here.

No comments: