Monday, September 08, 2008

Really?


Has it really come to this? Am I really showing you pictures of my lunch? Well, after I felt confident enough to confess to anyone who'd listen that Henry is a magical baby who has slept through the night since he was a month old, I went and jinxed myself. We've had some tough times in these parts with the sleeping thing: he's up as many as three or four times throughout the night and I often can't get him to sleep in his own crib and have to bring him into bed with Aaron and I, which totally destroys my sleep. He also won't nap in his crib anymore. I'm running out of tricks to try and I'm rapidly losing my marbles. So, not a lot of blog worthy fodder.

Still, look at this lunch. When I lived in Toronto I used to frequent a breakfast place that served something called Sunny's Grilled Cheese. It was a grilled cheese with avocado and red onions and it is so good that I'd often stay up at night thinking about it. Throughout the years I've gone through periods of making them at home, but for reasons I'm not sure of, I've been on a Sunny's hiatus for a while. But I'm back, baby, I'm back. This one was made with gouda, which made it extra good. And if you're going to try this one at home, the red onions are essential. Essential.


And, here's a little vintage pin that I ordered from this etsy shop. Word to the mothers. If anything, the last couple weeks have reminded me of how tricky this job can be.

2 comments:

mamaloo said...

How old is Henry now? There are a couple of major sleep regressions that they go through in that first year that really kick your arse. Check out Ask Moxie and search her site for "sleep regression" and you'll find lots of useful info.

It's tough, but it'll change, he'll start sleeping again AND he'll have acquired new skills to boot.

Elizabeth said...

Leanne, he's almost six months old, so not the age for a classic sleep regression, but he's got plenty going on that would make him regress. Since this started (about three weeks ago) he's: popped two teeth, started on solids, learned to sit on his bottom and started crawling backwards and rocking on his hands and knees. I know, major development. Through all of this, he stopped sucking his thumb, which was how he soothed himself. I know why he's stopped. I just hope that we (and he) can figure out how to get him back on track once his head has settled a bit. I miss that 10 hours every night!