Friday, November 25, 2005

Clapotis? Clap For Me!


Since this blog is pretty new and thus far completely free of FO pics, I thought I'd post a shot of the only major thing I've completed in the past 10 months... the much fawned over Clapotis. I started my Clappy back in June and finally finished it about a month ago -- conveniently, shortly after Miss Ruby learned how to go to sleep at 8 p.m. rather than 11. Here's a picture of the final product, with R using it to play peek-a-boo.

The yarn I used was Estelle 100% silk, as recommended and packaged by Hayley at Knitomatic. I bought it because she'd calculated the perfect amount for the Clapotis, and also because it was waaay on sale. I must say, I was skeptical about the raw silk -- it doesn't knit up very evenly and I was afraid that the nubby-ness would look a little on the hippie side. Plus, it wasn't that fun to knit with. In the end though, it turned out lovely and rather soft. If I knit the Clapotis again (which I may -- it's a long knit but I do so enjoy those drop stitches) I'll probably go for something warmer and softer and I think I'd also choose a variegated yarn to make it more interesting (I love watching the patterns that form. It's mesmerizing).

No real update on the dolls for now. I've moved on to Lauren and other kinds of yarn in my stash. It's been a slow go. Let's just say I've learned a lot about gauge in the last couple of days.

3 comments:

carrie said...

i LOVE that color! it's so yummy. and the little baby only adds to its charm!

mamaloo said...

Your Clap is gorgeous!

Congrats on finishing!

the knitrider said...

firstly ruby is SO ADORABLE. then clapotis is beautiful! its pretty similar to the color way i did mine in, except i used uber cheap yarn. lastly, thanks for your comments on my finished sweater! i also always opt for black for projects, but i spent a lot of time planning the colorway out so that it would contrast just right! hope you get around to knitting it soon!