Saturday, July 29, 2006

Two FOs For The Price Of One



Not only does she babble on at length about her yard and her child, but she knits too!

That's right. Two finished projects. In the last few hours I've managed to finish off a scarf and my July Project Spectrum socks. Not bad for a month during which I've moved and have been faced with 5,000 lbs of useless stuff piling up in my basement.

First up,
Madder Rib socks from Knitting Vintage Socks
Yarn: Lorna's Laces Sheppard Sock in Fresh Stripe
Needle: U.S. 1 bamboo DPNs
Mods: None



Comments: Love the yarn. Like, really, really love it. This is the first time I've used any Lorna's Laces (I'd never actually seen it in a store until I moved to Calgary and found Make 1 Studio). It's beautiful to work with and beautiful to wear. I do think the one row stripe pattern is a little wonky and would have preferred wider more consistent stripes (they repeated every row plus 14 stitches at this gauge), but I love the colour and kind of appreciate the wonkiness. The pattern is great too -- very simple and introduced me to the pointed toe (I've only ever done flat). I don't think that I'm going to have a life-long love affair with the pointed toe, but it was fun to switch things up. I think my next pair of socks will be another one of Knitting Vintage Socks ribbed variations. It was nice to actually be able to relax while knitting after the stress of Pomatomus.



Next,
Airy Scarf from Last Minute Knitted Gifts
Yarn: Kid Mohair (I lost the band in the move, but it's basically a cheaper version of Kid Silk Haze, minus the silk)
Needle: U.S. 10 cheapo aluminums (my supplies were still in transit, so I cheaped out)
Mods: I had to add extra repeats to lengthen the scarf
Comments: I love the fabric that the large needles created -- very gauzy and lace-like even though the lace repeat was simple beyond simple. I originally intended this for my One Skein Secret Pal, but it seemed a little too flimsy for the exchange (I think I'm going to whip up some wristwarmers instead) and it's also perfect for a birthday party we're going to tonight.



Speaking of gifts, after I finish my August socks, it'll be time to start work on Xmas gifts! I think between my love of Last Minute Knitted Gifts and my desire to learn how to sew softies (Hilary Lang, here I come), I'm just going to start making stuff and decide who the recipients are later. I really love making small items (who needs the stress of a sweater) so I'm pretty excited about gift season.

No comments: