Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Off Topic...

Okay, I know, this is totally off topic and not in line with what I usually write about. But, what is with the voting in the U.S.? Like a lot of other people in Canada, I am pretty fixated with your election, my American friends, and spend a lot of time watching CNN. I see long long lines, a full week before the election. Problems with machines. Confusion. People being denied. What's up.

In Canada we go to our polling station and usually don't have to wait at all. They give us a ballot and a golf pencil. We draw an X by the candidate of our choice. If there is more than one vote that day they give us multiple pieces of paper. We drop our paper in a box. They count them and release the results later that night.

I know there are 10 times as many people in the States, but there should also be 10 times as many poll workers, right? So why does television footage of your voting process look like that of a third world country?

2 comments:

Girl Land said...

You'd think it would be simple, eh? Reason #538 why I would rather live in Canada-- you guys have your pooh together. :) Hopefully, reason #539 will not happen. Cross your fingers for us that we will have some NEW direction very soon. xo

mamaloo said...

I have been thinking the same thing.

It's as if the U.S. electoral system was designed by Rube Goldberg.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rube_Goldberg_machine