Thursday, October 02, 2008

A Finnish Start


Did you know that there's a Marimekko store in Vancouver? I almost wish I didn't know -- since we do make it out to Vancouver a fair bit, this could get me in trouble. Aaron's parents were out there last month and Leena stopped in and, being the good Nana that she is, picked up some things for the kids.

Here's the thing: Leena is Finnish (well, she's Canadian, but her family comes from Finland), which makes my kids a full quarter Finnish. I'm not sure why, but this makes me really proud, and in a weird way, it makes me kind of feel Finnish myself (for the record, there's not a drop of Finnish blood in my German/Ukrainian/Irish self). So, I definitely have an affinity for anything Marimekko. And I feel like my kids should indulge in their Finnish heritage via cute clothes and fabrics.

Anyway, here's Ruby's adorable pink Marimekko giraffe dress. It's perfect, since giraffes are her favourite animal. Off to a good Finnish start.

No comments: