Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Archiving


I've been working hard hard hard at a project for a few weeks now -- but unfortunately, at this point at least -- it is hardly photogenic. My brother is getting married in a few months and I knew I wanted to make something from Alicia's book for the newest member of our family. One that jumped out at me is the cute cover for a family recipe book she has in there. I thought of making one for myself (and I probably will), but in the name of being unselfish, I thought it would also make a great gift for my almost sister-in-law. Plus, she likes to cook, so I thought a family recipe book would be perfecto.

Of course, while the cover is genius, I also had to go about making a book to put inside. So, over the last month or so I've been pestering family members to submit recipes that would be appropriate for a new bride. I also went through all my mother's old cookbooks to find some childhood favourites and added a bunch of things that I tend to cook all the time. I typed everything into some cookbook software I bought (and I'm not going to link to it, because I don't think I'd recommend the particular program I chose) and ended up with a few over 100 recipes.

I've always kind of fancied myself a bit of an archivist -- in fact, earlier this evening I stuck a bunch of prints (yes, paper prints from a photomat) in the seventh volume of our family photo albums (which only started four years ago when Ruby was born). So, it was really amazing to go through all the family favourites and put them together. And yes, I did end up printing one up for myself. And my mother. And my other sister-in-law. As for now, though, only the new bride will get a fancy cover (which I have to start... only three weeks until the shower).

So, in the spirit of women sharing with other women (I'm assuming, I don't think a dude has ever commented on this blog), here's one from the vaults. My Grandmother, who was never much of a cook, if I may say (and I may, since she doesn't know how to use a computer, so this won't get back to her), did make a really yummy cookie when I was a kid. She always refused to share the recipe when my mom asked her for it. When she moved into an assisted living home a few years ago, she gave me her recipe box and guess what was inside? I present to you:

Nellie's Delicious Cookies (my Grandma is not named Nellie, by the way)

1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter
1 cup oil
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla

3 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp cream of tarter
1 tsp salt
1 tsp soda
1 cup Rice Krispies
1 cup flaked coconut
1 cup oatmeal
1 cup sunflower seeds

Blend first set of ingredients. Mix in remaining. Drop by tsp on cookie sheet. Bake at 350F for 12-15 minutes.

Enjoy!

No comments: