Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Weekend Thrift (and Cupcakes)


I haven't been thrifting for a while -- summer gets so busy and I'm usually with Aaron on the weekend and he generally frowns at the idea of bringing any additional objects of any sort into our home (understandably, really). So, it's been a while. But I've recently picked up a few things:

Above, some teacups in the Federal Glass Golden Glory pattern. These match some soup bowls that I picked up earlier this spring, which is the only reason I got them, as I try to keep my teacup collecting at a minimum. $2 at a garage sale.


Next, some really cute glasses. I don't know why, but I'm a little obsessed with really tiny glasses of the '60s/'70s vintage -- I don't even know what one would use such tiny glasses for (juice?). My grandma used to have a lot of glasses in this style, which might be why I love them so much. Anyway, I thought these could come in handy at Christmas. $10 at a small town junk store (for 8 glasses).


And, some Fire King ramekins, which I actually kind of need, because we've been living in a ramekin free zone in our house. No ramekins! How would I make tiny souffles? Anyway, $5 for six at a garage sale.

Someone commented a while back, asking where I found most of my weekend thrift items, so I'll try to include that info for the curious. She also asked how I go about finding good garage sales, which I know can be hard. The answer is, I don't really know. I try to just go about my business and stop when I see a garage sale sign and hope the fates smile on me. Sometimes I actively go driving around looking for them, and I generally try to stick to older neighbourhoods where the sales will be more likely to have vintage stuff rather than kids toys. I generally avoid the "professional" sales, because they price gouge, but you can find good stuff too, even if you have to pay a bit more. Oh, and Aaron and I have an understanding that if it says "estate sale" on the sign we have to stop, no matter what.


Finally, I made some more cupcakes from the Martha book and we finally have a cupcake that was a total hit. They don't look like much, but these are the Chocolate Mint cupcakes, which are basically individual brownies with a York Peppermint Patty baked in the middle. Genius.

No comments: