Thursday, May 08, 2008

Bittersweet Domesticity


The weather has been dreadful here today and Ruby's classes were canceled this week, so we've been cooped up. I've been in the kitchen, trying to get some stuff done, which has been boring the kids to tears, but life goes on, right? Yesterday I made a batch of cookies, and for the first time I wasn't completely thrilled with a recipe from the Martha Stewart cookie book (not counting the time I botched the recipe). I made the Caramel Cashew cookies and they're just okay. There's a load of cashews in these cookies -- both chopped and processed into cashew butter and as much as I like a cashew, it's too much. They're kind of like peanut butter cookies, but really really cashewy. Okay, but not mind-blowing like the brownies or chocolate cookies that I've already tried.


A while back I picked up Jessica Seinfeld's Deceptively Delicious cookbook. I know a lot of people have problems with this book, but desperate to get more veggies into Ruby (without going into detail, we're having big constipation problems, so she needs more veg in her diet) I decided to give it a try. It's been sitting in my cupboard for weeks now (maybe even months, I'm not sure) and I finally got around to making and freezing some purees so I can try some of the recipes. In addition to puree-ing I whipped up a pan (or a pie-plate, actually) of Jessica's brownies, with carrot and spinach puree. When Ruby and I were mixing it up the batter looked really gross and it smelled pretty bad going in the oven too. But, it turned out okay. Not delicious like Martha's brownies and a little too cakey for my tastes, but edible. Now we'll just have to see if the kid will eat them. Tomorrow, I'll mix some cauliflower in with her mac and cheese. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good luck!
just catching up and lots to see- great fabrics scores and my henry DOES look like you husn=band did! amazing-
:)