Monday, September 28, 2009

Surprise, Baby.


Surprise! I knit something. Knitting used to be my #1 craft, but it's definitely fallen by the wayside over the years. I blame the lack of instant gratification, coupled with the high price of luxury yarn. Still, I do like the knits, and there is never a better time to knit than in anticipation of a new baby. And, lucky for me, I have a fabulous new baby to celebrate.

My new nephew, Jason David, came into the world a week ago this past Friday. When his brother, Caleb, was born, I spent six months knitting a spectacular baby blanket that somehow summoned the baby into being born the day it was finished. I hesitated to finish this little jacket too early, since my other brother was getting married at the beginning of the month and my very pregnant sister-in-law did not want an early baby to prevent her from being able to go to the wedding. So, I finished the jacket (except for seaming) about a week and a half ago, and wouldn't you know it, the little guy arrived a couple days later.

So, yes, a baby surprise jacket. This is the second one I've made and it was nowhere near as fun. I think a lot of that has to do with the non-variegated yarn. BSJs are a lot more fun if you use just the right kind of variegated yarn. Also, I used Lion Brand Wool Ease, because I wanted something that was natural, but washable (and, I really hate to say it, but I couldn't find time to go to my local yarn store -- they don't open until 11 most days and I tend to do my errands in the morning). This yarn really ticket me off -- the whole skein was essentially tied in one big knot. Yechhh. But, all in all, I think it turned out nice, if not a little large for young Jason. But he will grow into it. Yes, he will.

No comments: