Friday, September 04, 2009

Quilt! Quilt! Quilt!


Okay, before I get started, can I just say how difficult it is to photograph a quilt? I think I'm a decent photog, but I've got to hand it to the blog ladies who take great quilt photos. And I humbly apologize for mine -- this little quilt is much cuter in real life.

But, on to the back patting portion of the show: I finished my very first non-doll quilt. It is a lap quilt — specifically the lap quilt from Bend The Rules Sewing. I started this thing well over a year ago -- I remember buying the fabric at a vintage fabric sale with a six-week-old Henry strapped to my chest. I made the top soon after that and finally finished the binding a couple of days ago. It isn't perfect -- I think the batting I used was too thick, I forgot to trim it up properly before binding, and the binding itself is a bit lumpy. But I finished it, and I love it.


I really am pleased with how these vintage fabrics worked out. I really love the colour combo and the thing that most attracts me to learning how to quilt is the combo of all of these crazy prints. I'm big into using scraps (the less to buy the better), and the spirit of thriftiness is what invented patchwork in the first place. I think I may try to tackle another lap quilt before diving into the sacred baby clothes quilts, or maybe not. Either way, I'm happy that I dove into this project feet first, and big thanks to Amy for taking the scariness out of my very first quilt.

2 comments:

cara lou said...

I love those fabrics!! The colors are so cool. And they are so vintage-y! Nice job. It looks so cuddly.

This post cracked me up because your first post about this quilt, back when you finished the top, is how I found your blog. I was making Amy's lap quilt, too, and I think I was confused about something. I did a Google search to see if anyone else was writing about it. :)

that quilt was the first one I ever made, too, and now I'm hooked. I've made 6-7 different ones now and I owe it all to Amy for making it easy to jump in. Yay!

sam lamb said...

elizabeth - it's great!!