Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Mmmmmittens!


When I somewhat foolishly bought Ruby a snowsuit a few weeks ago that didn't come with those snap-on water-proof mittens (I was swayed by the style -- unfortunately, it was a slightly higher-end brand that didn't feel the need to sweeten the pot with those handy robo-mitts), she immediately demanded that I knit her some mitts. So, to match the little hat I made for her, I used most of the rest of my Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted (in the Child's Play colourway -- which I think looks way nicer when knit flat, thus avoiding those crazy stripes I got on the hat) to make these little mittens.

These are a non-stripey variation of Zoe Mellor's Bold Banded Mittens from my handy old copy of Adorable Knits For Tots. I'm not totally in love with the pattern, but it's what I had, it's what I've used before and it's what'll have to do for now. I am aware that I have not solved my mitten crises completely. These babies will do fine under Ruby's jacket on crisp fall days, but there's no way they'll work for building snowmen and ice skating and all that soggy winter stuff. I will have to cave and buy some kind of snowsuit material store-bought mittens. Until then, I have a satisfied customer, which is good enough for me.

1 comment:

carrie said...

perfect mittens! you must take a pic of them playing in the snow...