Friday, January 30, 2009
Dear Ruby: Volume Four
This weekend, you'll be celebrating your fourth birthday. This isn't news to you -- you've been talking about your birthday since the week before Christmas (at which point you figured that the elves must have your dollhouse almost made and you could move on to the next set of presents). I have so much that I want to say to you this year -- how proud I am that you're growing to be such a lovely person and how that you're more beautiful and spirited than I ever could have dreamed. In the name of brevity, I'll present you with a list of a few things that come to mind:
1. In the last year, you started playschool, and your life has changed. You are a leader in your class, loved by students and teachers alike. You have friends, real friends.
2. Speaking of which, yesterday in school a younger girl was feeling sad and missing her mother. You sat down with her to cheer her up and started regaling her with "spooky" stories. When I asked you what the stories were about, you mentioned tarantulas.
3. And, speaking of spooky, you are very in to being brave these days. You used to be afraid of most movies, but now you love watching Sleeping Beauty.
4. You love cooking and are far more likely to eat something if you helped make it.
5. You love hide and seek. Honestly, you aren't very good at it and giggle whenever you're hiding, but you love playing all the same.
6. All summer, your favourite thing to do was ride your bike.
7. You are very good at doing things yourself: going to the bathroom, getting dressed, getting into the car, etc.
8. You are an amazing sister. Henry loves you more than anything and your are very sweet and gentle with him, even when he gets in your way.
9. When you grow up, you want to be: a nurse, a store worker (specifically, at Safeway) and a mama. You plan to marry your friend Simon, who will look after your children when you're at work.
10. Your favourite song is "Leader Of The Pack." You like the motorcycle. And you prefer music that is sung by girls.
Of course, there are a million more things -- far to many to write here. I love you, baby. Happy birthday.