Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Old School


I don't know what it is about this week, but it's kicking my butt. I only have a tiny bit left to do on Ruby's doll, but I can't seem to pick it up. I have a feeling I'll be up until midnight on Saturday embroidering the face, but every time I go to do the last few bits, I feel like I'm going to pass out. Let's blame the January blues.

Back to happier times, I have one last bit of Christmas business to take care of here. I try to make at least one handmade thing for the kids every Xmas, and this year it was a quick and easy one -- wrapped before I even had a chance to take photos. A long while back someone sent me a couple of pieces of pre-printed fabric as part of a swap. The lady who sent them is a little bit older than me, and said they'd been sitting in her sewing basket since the '80s. Naturally, I was thrilled with the old school Blueberry Muffin and Care Bear, but it's taken me a while to actually stitch them up.

Of course, Strawberry Shortcake and the Care Bears are totally back in style with kiddos -- something that my childless friends are usually unaware of (My Little Pony is also still a hit). Strawberry and her posse have undergone a major makeover, so I'm thankful that Ruby has this old fashioned Blueberry Muffin in her collection, rather than the new tween-style one. Henry has yet to appreciate his Care Bear. but if he's anything like my brother was back in the '80s (who, incidentally, looks a lot like Henry), this grumpy little bear will become a treasured favourite.

No comments: