Thursday, February 12, 2009

Pillow Talk


I can't even tell you how long I've been dreaming of collaborating with Ruby on a project like this. This little pillow is a birthday gift for my mom, featuring artwork drawn by a certain Miss Ruby and embroidered by myself. The picture is a portrait of my mom (which suspiciously looks a lot like Roo's portrait of Obama). I love it. Love it. Love it.

For the actual pillow construction, I used the template for the Farm Girl Pillow from Alicia Paulson's Stitched In Time. I had thought about doing a photo pillow for my mom, but I'm not too crazy about the printed on fabric photo look and I didn't have a photo that seemed perfect. So, I got Ruby to draw up the picture and got to work.

Following my resolutions, I didn't have to buy anything to make this, except the pillow form. The fabric is left over from my lap quilt (which is still, uh, unfinished) and from my soon-to-be-retired kitchen curtains (there's a renovation coming... I'm in denial). It was super easy and the actual pillow construction took no more than an hour or so. This was so easy and so much fun, I already have another edition in the works. Ruby and I make beautiful craft together -- I can hardly wait to see what happens as her skills grow.

1 comment:

leeleetea said...

That is such a good idea!