Tuesday, February 17, 2009

What Would You Do With 10 Skeins Of Hot Pink Mohair?


That's the question of the day. Back in those early days of knitting, when I was all in love with the idea of knitting everything under the sun but had no idea of what I was doing when it came to yarn purchasing or anything like that, I bought 10 skeins of hot pink vintage Bernat Mohair Plus on ebay. Yeah, I know, real bright. It's been taking up real estate in my relatively small stash space for about five years now and I've been wasting brain power trying to figure out what the heck to do with it (other than donate it to the Sally Ann -- that would be letting the mohair win).

I tried using it for the Airy Scarf from Last Minute Knitted Gifts, but it's way too thick -- at least three times thicker than a lace weight mohair. Plus it's itchy. A few weeks ago I knit up the above piece of material... lets call it a scarf... but again, way too itchy to wear. So what do you do with 10 skeins of hot pink mohair? Any input would be more than welcome.

4 comments:

Veronique said...

That's a tough one... I once had several skeins of an acrylic/mohair blend that I thought I'd use to make a sweater. It sounds like this yarn was very similar to yours. It never really worked out, and I ended up giving it away at a yarn exchange. It made me feel a little bit guilty that I unloaded crappy yarn, but someone did take it!

Not Available said...

Huh, that's a good question. Mohair is such a tricky yarn to work with because of the itch factor. Hmm. I'll have to think about that one. I once bought a pair of double-thick mohair mittens from a church craft fair that had a felted-type lining (hence no itch), but unless you're a 65-year-old lady who's been knitting for most of her natural life, those might be a bit time-consuming to make. I will ponder this highly philosophical question over the weekend.

Anonymous said...

ohhhhh wouldnt a princess loving girl love a hot pink blanket fluffy blanket or princess robe/cape. If the wool is itchy you could back it with something super soft and snuggley.

Long-Legged Taffy said...

I knitted a long-sleeve boat-neck cable-bodice sweater with 8 skeins of hot pink Bernat Mohair Plus from eBay; and 8 skeins of hot pink Bernat Mohair Plus (different dyelot) from Ravelry. I LOVE this yarn. Been using it since the 60s. Would buy it from you. The photo of the sweater is on my Ravelry page: taffylegs; or my Blog.