Tuesday, February 09, 2010

I Heart You


I knew I was going to do it. After helping Ruby to make her paper hearts garland, I needed to make a fabric Valentine's banner. I NEEDED to. Actually, it was practical, because I had this really cute V-Day fabric that I bought from Sew Mama Sew some time ago (sorry, I'm really bad at keeping track of fabric names/designers/etc). It's adorably cute and I was thinking of making a Valentine's apron with it, but I like this even better. I ended up wasting a lot of it to get the motifs I liked (and even then I didn't really take the time to centre them properly), but I'm glad it got put to use. The other fabric (the one with the little people) used is another Sew Mama Sew purchase and then a floral vintage thing I had lying around.

I used the Birthday Banner pattern from Alicia's book Stitched In Time, except without the stenciled letters. I also backed each panel with pink fabric because I am notoriously cheap when it comes to my patterned fabric (which is why you see the same patterns show up in a lot of the stuff I make). You can see the pink when the light shines through, which is okay, since I chose pretty non-Valentine-y fabrics so that the men folk in the house would be able to live with it.

Overall I loved making this thing — it was easy, and lets the cute fabric shine. I kind of want to make one for Henry's birthday too, but it's so hard not to just move on to the next thing.

2 comments:

cara lou said...

Reeeaaally cute! I love that it doesn't scream "Valentine's Day!" but still is sweet and festive.

I really want a banner for every occasion/time of year. I can never quite bring myself to actually make one, though. Boo.

Anonymous said...

Hi...I made one very simular and posted it on my blog! I love banners so much! Even my window looks lots like yours. :)