Sunday, January 08, 2006

SP7 Questions


Since I'm dorking out to the max on this whole Knitblog thing (Aaron calls it my "Leo Blog" because he thinks it's my zodiac call for attention), I've signed up for Secret Pal 7. As required by the SP7 people, here's a little questionnaire so my fabulous gifter can get to know me a little better (and a picture taken last spring, so you can get a feel for my general Elizabeth-ness):

1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand?
Yes, I am a yarn snob. I hate using Red Heart even for small projects. I have been known to use Lion Brand, but am never really happy with the results. While I can't really afford a huge natural fibre habit, I do have a taste for the good stuff.

2. Do you spin? Crochet?
No and no.

3. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
Right now, one of those plastic set of drawers that you can get at Home Depot.

4. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I've been knitting obsessively for about two and a half years. I'd say I'm probably an intermediate knitter.

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Nope.

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
Coconut or jasmin.

7. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Mmm, I do indeed have a sweet tooth and a full-on chocolate addiction.

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
I'm learning how to sew. I also like cooking.

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
Music... by profession I'm a music critic, largely specializing in indie rock and alt.country/singer-songwriter stuff. I also have a soft spot for mainstream pop and oldies, plus stuff from the '70s like Fleetwood Mac and Bruce Springsteen.

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
Pink. I love pink. And orange. And black. Not much of a fan of the pastel blues and greens.

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I'm married with a 11-month old daughter. The hub has asthma, so no pets, though I love cats and small dogs.

12. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
I'm off the ponchos (though I have been known to wear the short capelet kind, but only in special circumstances), and as a Canadian, I do wear scarves, hats and mittens. Constantly.

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
I love Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride. I love many others too and there are many out there that I'd like to try.

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Fun fur or anything of it's ilk.

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
Toys. And I'm starting to think about socks (just bought my first sock yarn today!)

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Hats. They're easy and quick.

17. What are you knitting right now?
Knitty's Kate and SNBN's Fairly Easy Fair Isle.

18. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Yes.

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
Depends on the project. Generally, if I can use straight, I do, but I also like a well-made circular.

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
All of the above.

21. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
no.

22. How did you learn to knit?
From a book. Self-taught, with a few pointers from my mother-in-law.

23. How old is your oldest UFO?
About a year and a half. A gross acrylic baby blanket that I started when I got pregnant and abandoned once the baby was born.

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
I love cats.

25. What is your favorite holiday?
Christmas.

26. Is there anything that you collect?
Not really.

27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
None (it can be a pain up here in Canada) but I usually try to pick up Interweave and Vogue or anything else I can find locally.

28. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on?
I'm open to anything.

29. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
Short rows, practice more intarsia, try some more complicated lace.

30. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I'm just starting on the socks. I'm a size 7 to 8 shoe.

31. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
August 17. 197something.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there, your SP here! First off, your daughter is adorable. I have a 2 yr old daughter myself. I read through your blog and already have some ideas up my sleeve for the spoiling! Yay! And your birthday is a week before mine. I'm a Virgo according to all the books but i swear i was born a few days late....should been a Leo because i'm SO not what a Virgo is supposed to be.
Anyways....nice to meet you and I look forward to spoiling you!

Erin said...

Thanks for posting this... and beautiful work on Kate. She's on my knit-list. And I've been obsessing about Blythe lately. Where did your husband find yours? I don't mind having a reproduction--I'm just not sure where to get her!