Monday, May 14, 2007

New York State Of Mind


This month's SPC theme is On The Street, a celebration of street photography, so I thought I'd combine my contribution with some notes on my recent trip. Here I am, just off of 14th street, meeting Aaron before heading out to dinner. I love the street action aspect of this photo (the fruit stand, the phone, the New York-ness) even if I look a bit grumpy. This was taken near the end of our trip, after I'd spent a full day shopping, mostly on foot. Hence the lack of colour in my face.

So, anyway, the trip, which now seems so long ago, was divine. As Aaron and I often do, our trip largely centered around eating -- I made it my mission to eat as many cupcakes from as many cupcake bakeries as possible (I made it to Magnolia, Buttercup and Sugar Sweet Sunshine -- the latter's pistachio cupcake being my absolute favourite, since I found Magnolia's buttercream to be just a little too intense. I ended up abandoning my chocolate cupcake halfway through). We also went up to Harlem for roti, down to the East Village for Moroccan, the Village for Cuban and also for Mexican, plus to Katz' deli for some pastrami (closest thing to a Montreal deli outside of Montreal, if you ask me).

We also did some things other than eat: felt like proud Canadians at the Jeff Wall retrospective at Moma, saw Bjork at Radio City Music Hall, Kevin Spacey on Broadway, bought shoes and dresses and shampoo. Best of all, I didn't feel total maternal angst from being apart from Ruby and I can hardly wait to travel somewhere fun again.

6 comments:

amelia said...

Oh what I'd give to be there!!!

Deb R said...

I like this photo a lot. So much going on!!

Anonymous said...

Great shot! New York looks so exotic to me... real street feel. Are there really bakeries devoted to cupcakes?

Molly said...

I like what's going on in the background there!

Bob the Frog said...

love this photo! it captures the movement of the city.

Anonymous said...

what a great trip!