Thursday, May 17, 2007

Should I Rib Or Should I Flow

I'm a girl who likes the idea of community. I spent much of my day conferring with other mothers about various issues involving the womenfolk and it made me feel good. I also am way into this Sockapalooza Pligg thing: what a great little community. And nothing gives a girl an ego boost like strangers interested in her socks!

Anyway, if you haven't seen the yarn I chose for my pal, it's here. Now it's time to pick a pattern. I'm dedicated to doing something from Favourite Socks since I bought the thing ages ago and haven't knit a single pair of socks. I know the variegated Lorna's Laces yarn would overwhelm a pattern with too elaborate a lace pattern like Embossed Leaves or Waving Lace, so I want to do something with a smaller all-over repeat. Here are my candidates:

Go With The Flow Socks by Evelyn A. Clark. An easy, but very pretty textural lace pattern. It's also stretchy, so it'll be more likely to fit the foot of a stranger (no Cinderella glass slippers here, thank you very much). I think it'll look nice with a variegated yarn and the heel and toe aren't too wacky or square or pointy looking.

Or...

Undulating Rib Socks by Ann Budd. Again, it's a rib, so there should be some stretch. Not as open or lacey, but a very interesting texture. And perhaps more conducive to the variegated yarn.

So, I think I know which one I'm leaning towards (though I've tried to remain objective here). Any thoughts out there? Any of you who've knit either of these and have something to say?

10 comments:

Seanna Lea said...

I think that the undulating rib socks look great and would definitely work with the yarn you have in mind.

s b said...

I love every sock in that book, but I think undulating rib is one of the best sock patterns I've ever seen. I'd go for that one if I were you...

Anonymous said...

You could always do what I plan to do: swatch up both patterns and see which one you like best. I have three patterns I like, so I'm going with my favourite one first, and if I love it (and the yarn agrees), then I'll continue with that, but if it all goes pear shaped, I've got two other patterns in reserve.
Now I'm just killing time waiting for the yarn to arrive.

Alotta.knittin said...

I don't envy you!! Both socks are wonderful. I like what Kate said about swatching. Probably the best idea. Either way your sock pal is going to be one lucky girl :-)

Carola said...

I think I'm going to agree with your choice ;-) undulating ribs it is.

Jamie C. said...

I guess I have to dissent...I made the Go with Flow socks in a LL variegated colorway and they turned out great!

Deb said...

I have to agree with seanna lea. That yarn just seems to call to that pattern.
I know I would love them;)

LaurieM said...

I'm making "Go with the Flow" for my sock pal using Koigu and it's turning out quite well. I think the combination of striping varigate with stretchy rib-lace looks a bit like plaid. You can see it here: http://issueswithknitting.blogspot.com/2007/05/stuck-on-socks.html

The pattern is well written and easy to memorize. I had a friend who's feet match the size of my pal try them on and they looked very cute on her. (No worries, I will wash before sending!)

Sarah said...

Hopped over from sockapalooza... I love the undulating rib socks- I think the yarn you've chosen would be gorgeous in that pattern.

Lucy said...

I really like the very first pattern in the book called "retro rib" I made them with lorna's laces in "lakeview" colourway and I love the way they look. Just a suggestion though, I haven't made undulating rib... yet.