Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Socking It To The Palooza


Yikes, sorry for the weird post title -- it's been a long day. I don't know if I mentioned it, but I'm participating in this year's Sockapalooza sock swap. A lot of those Sockapaloozers are pretty hot to trot -- if you check the Pligg, many of them are well on their way to completing their socks. Feeling like a slacker, I ventured out to buy my yarn today.

They had nice crop of sock yarn down at Make 1, but despite my pull towards the Opal, I felt the need to go with Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock again. Here's why: the last two pairs of socks I made were with this yarn so I'm very comfortable with the gauge and having to tweak for my partner's foot size. Also, some people in blogland have expressed a difficulty coming across the stuff in their own LYS, so I wanted to share the LL love. Plus I just like the stuff.

My partner expressed an interest in earth tones and a disinterest in anything that looks like baby yarn, so I chose Mixed Berries, which I'm afraid looks much brighter in ball form as it did as hanks. Unfortunately, they were down to only one hank in the colours that would have been perfect. so I'm hoping the brown in the berry will temper the purples. But, the yarn should suit my tastes a bit too right? Any good gift does.

Anyway, I'll have to choose a pattern (probably something from Favourite Socks) and then I'll start 'er up. I'm a little nervous knitting for a foot I don't know. Wish me luck.

12 comments:

alison said...

Don't feel like you're behind - you've still got months to knit the socks! The yarn is lovely. :)

Seanna Lea said...

What she said!

You have a decent amount of time to get your sock pattern settled and to knit some cool socks!

Anonymous said...

I love the Mixed Berry yarn. Those are my favourite colours. Where did you get the yarn?

I look forward to seeing the pattern and socks.

Elizabeth said...

I got the yarn at Make 1 Studio in Calgary. They offer a Sockapalooza discount. Unfortunately, I didn't see a ton of Shepherd Sock in stock, but they seem to get fairly regular shipments. Either way, it's an awesome store.

Minneapolismama said...

I love the yarn! I think that it'll make some gorgeous socks!

(I'm a little worried about knitting for a foot I haven't met, too. I hope it all turns out ok--I'm sure it will!)

amanda j said...

That is gorgeous yarn! Such pretty deep colours.

I agree, we have months. Which if you are a procrastiknitter like me is great news!

Shari said...

I haven't started my socks yet either, I need to feel slightly panicked to get things done though. Love, Love,LOVE the yarn. Have fun!

Unknown said...

Pretty! I can't find LL's here at all, nor up in Maine at the yarn stores I haunt there (I live in MA, but shop the yarn stores in Maine regularly -- don't ask!) The one pair of socks I have (made for me from last year's swap) out of LL's I cherish.

Alotta.knittin said...

Even though I already bought yarn for my sockpal's socks I just HAD go to out and by the Lorna's Laces Mt. Creek colorway. It's very much like Mixed Berries. You are in inspiration!! And the yarn...exquisite!!

Carola said...

Lovely yarn and you are right, it's nice if a gift also appeals to the giver.
Can you please slow down a little... I haven't bought my yarn yet nor made up my mind about a pattern. If you are already in panic, what shall I say ;-) Fortunately, there are many weeks left. Have fun!

Jofrog said...

ooh, I love LL! I'm at the same stage you are, yarn wound, needles poised, we've got TONS of time. Happy knitting!

Anonymous said...

I felt like a procrastinator myself so I have started your socks! Why put off for tomorrow what you really want to start today. I think you'll love them...The unknown foot thing is a little scary but that is what stretchy patterns are made for! If I finish early it will KILL me to not send them right away. I am BAD at secrets...