Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Oranges Aren't The Only Fruit



Here are those pesky socks that took me a whole month to complete! Without knitting anything else. Lolly herself mentioned that many people had trouble finishing the March Project Spectrum projects and she speculated that it might be because people don't like orange. The thing is, I love orange! It just seems that tropical vacations and impending cross-country moves aren't conducive to knitting.

Here's the specs:
Pattern: Simply Lovely Lace Socks from Interweave Knits Spring 2006
Yarn: Opal Superwash in oh, let's say orange.
Needle: US #1 DPNs



Despite the month it took me to knit up these babies, they were actually a pretty quick knit -- I imagine the sport-weight version would take no time at all. It took me a bit to get the hang of the lace pattern (tonnes of ktbs, which are kind of a pain) but it took about one second to memorize. The only snag came when I tried on the first sock mid-knit and I either ripped a stitch (the lace ain't very stretchy) or tore a stitch that had been split and somehow formed a big hole in one of the lace repeats. I managed to (kind of) repair it, but even though you have to look closely to find the botch I don't think I could give these away as a gift. Oh well, more socks for me.

4 comments:

CelticCastOn said...

yummy! I love them! That orange shade is perfect!

mamaloo said...

Nice reference there smarty girl!

Elizabeth said...

Well, I've got to use that English lit. degree for something, right?

mamaloo said...

Gentle readers, I have seen these socks in person and they are gorgeous! Much more orange coloured in ReaLife(TM) than the photos here.