Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Self-Portrait Tuesday


It's still introduction month in SPC land, so I'll tackle Kath's question: Why do you do Self-Portrait Challenge?

I'll start way back at the beginning: I started knitting about three and a half years ago as a means to fulfill a need to do something with my hands. As a magazine editor my creative side was being exercised regularly (I wrote every day), but I needed something a little more tangible. Hence knitting. I started this blog in November at the urging of my friend Sam Lamb. After having my daughter I was no longer writing and no longer knitting very much, hence no longer feeling very creative. Sam explained that her blog gave her a much-needed feeling of pressure to get her crafty projects done. So, to give myself a kick in the ass, Elizaboothy was born. Plus it got me writing again, which is nice, even though I don't really put the effort in here that I should.

So, why SPC? Like the blog, it's for me and about me. As the mother of a 15-month-old, life isn't really about good old Elizabeth anymore. So, to remind myself that I'm still here, an entity separate from Ruby, I document myself. This week I posted a picture that I took of myself in the bathroom. It's the only place I get to be alone these days. If I'm lucky, that is.

No comments: