Saturday, November 10, 2007

Books: Last-Minute Patchwork And Quilted Gifts


So, I decided to treat myself and order Last-Minute Patchwork and Quilted Gifts by Joelle Hoverson (owner of the lovely little Purl yarn and fabric shops in NYC). Joelle's other book Last-Minute Knitted Gifts has served me well over the last couple of years and though I didn't love the other book in the series, Last-Minute Fabric Gifts (which was actually written by someone other than Joelle), the previews and reviews I'd seen of this new one looked pretty good. Plus there's a pattern for a Hillary Lang toy in here, so you can't go wrong.


I'm drawn to pretty much every single pattern in here (I love the birds on the tree hanging quilt the best), but there's one problem: I've never quilted. I know it can't be too hard, but since sewing doesn't come as easily to me as knitting, I'd really like to take a quilting class before destroying all kinds of expensive fabric. Of course, with a baby due right after Christmas, there's no time for that. In fact, I can't see myself making many of these projects for the next few years. But I'm still glad to have the book for inspiration, because it is really beautiful and full of great ideas.


With that said, there are a few little things I can see myself making sooner rather than later. I love the little pincushions pictured above and since they don't actually involve quilting, I think they may be a good place to start. Ditto for the tiny bird ornaments, which I'd like to try before Christmas hits (though, on a side note, due to some crazy circumstances, I'll be out of town for a full week before Christmas, drastically cutting into my Christmas craft time). There are some really sweet baby blankets in here too, which I'd like to try, perhaps before Frank's arrival. We'll see how far I get.

2 comments:

The Ninja Knitter said...

if you'd like to try out a mini-project before committing yourself to a massive quilt project - I'd suggest making a doll quilt. I've been wanting to make a confetti quilt for ages (http://www.ladyharvatine.com/2007/05/in-true-spirit-of-whiplash.html) but just haven't gotten around to it.

Put it this way - if you can sew a straight stitch on a sewing machine, you can quilt. :)

sam lamb said...

Okay - that book is officially on my Christmas list. And you'll have no problem with quilting...sock knitting is WAY more challenging!