Sunday, November 11, 2007

Cookie Confidential... Part Two


My cookie mania continues, much to the chagrin of everyone (okay, well, Aaron) around me. Since we last spoke cookies, I've whipped up four more varieties. The fact that I'm treating this more like an experiment than a chore is what's keeping me going -- though Aaron has told me that if I don't start doing other things like cleaning out the basement before our party, I'm grounded. Not really, but you know how these things can get when you're in a relationship.

Okay, again, I'm drawing mostly from the Better Homes And Gardens Christmas Cookie mag (email me if you want the recipes). I started the week with Lemon Cream Cookie Sandwiches. Now, I don't usually do sandwich cookies because they a) need to be rolled and cut b) you get half as many cookies as you bake. Since these are sliced out of the icebox, they were actually very easy. And delicious. As is my usual practice, I added lemon juice to the frosting as well as the required lemon rind, for a much more lemony experience. When I was a kid I was obsessed with lemon curd tarts that my Grandma made at Christmas, so I need a lot of lemon in my life this time of year.


Next, Coconut Lime Meringues. I'm not usually that attracted to meringues, but when I saw that these had lime and coconut, I couldn't resist. And they're super easy. And yum.


And then, moving onto the newest issue of Chatelaine magazine and drawing from their Cookie Contest winners, Cranberry Shortbread. Pretty straightforward: a shortbread with craisins and pecans. 'Nuff said.

I also did a pan of Coconut Candy Bars today (not pictured), which is basically a graham crust with a layer of almonds, condensed milk and coconut, topped with melted dark chocolate. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm anticipating perfection. We have a lot going on in our lives over the next few weeks, so I don't know if I can keep up the pace, but I still have about 10 varieties on my list, which I know I'm not going to complete. But I'm still having fun, so I figure I have at least a few more batches in me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

how can i receive some? :( oh santa!!!i hope u heard my wishes!!