Thursday, November 22, 2007

MePod


I've finally become a member of the iPod generation. I know this may sound weird, since as some of you may know, that pre-maternal bliss I was a professional music writer, on staff at a music magazine. I still write about music, and even though it's pretty much a barely-paid hobby, it seems ridiculous that I'd wait until late 2007 to start using a MP3 player. But, I'm a Luddite at heart and I don't like giving up my CDs (which, until recently, I'd been getting totally for free). We have been using iTunes on our computer like a jukebox since we shelled all our our CDs and put them in those big binder things about two years ago (a baby proofing necessity), but no iPod for me, who usually prefers to listen to CBC radio during the day anyway.

Aaron got a free iPod Nano as a gift at work the other day and I swiftly claimed it (he already has one of those big fancy iPods with a huge memory, so he didn't need it). I've already fallen in love with using this thing in the car -- I love the concept of the mixed tape and iPod shuffle is the ultimate mixed tape. I do find myself skipping over happy songs and dwelling on the sad, though. I don't know what it is, maybe because I've had relatively little heartbreak in my life thus far (BIG knock on wood), I like hearing other people's pain through song so I have a taste of what it feels like. Sick, I know, but don't deny that you do it too.

Anyway, I usually keep my music life out of this blog, but here are some of the songs that have been affecting me in my car lately. If you want a good pre-Christmas cry, feel free to make a similar playlist of your own:

Belle And Sebastian "The State That I Am In"; Bob Dylan "A Hard Rains A-Gonna Fall"; Bright Eyes "The Calendar Hung Itself"; Neutral Milk Hotel "King Of Carrot Flowers"; Johnny Cash "If You Could Read My Mind"; Evan Dando "The Grass Is All Wine Coloured" Damien Rice "The Blower's Daughter"; Elvis Costello "I Want You"; Liz Phair "The Divorce Song"; Neil Diamond "Red Red Wine"; Nick Lowe "Only A Fool Breaks His Own Heart"; Bevis Frond "He'd Be A Diamond"; The Zombies "This Will Be Our Year"; R.E.M. "Everybody Hurts"; Ryan Adams "Come Pick Me Up"; Rufus Wainwright "Dinner At Eight"; Simon And Garfunkel "America"; Townes Van Zandt "Poncho And Lefty"; Neko Case "Margaret Vs. Pauline"; Gram Parsons "$1,000 Wedding"; Weakerthans "Left And Leaving"; Stars "Your Ex-Lover Is Dead"....

I could go on. Forever. What are some of your favourite heartbreakers?

No comments: